Thursday, June 29, 2006

How to train your dog to walk on a leash continued

A few says ago I rubbed a blister on the back of my foot while walking in a new pair of shoes (without my dog). So for the past couple of days I have not been much in the mood for extensive leash training.

Yesterday we did spend some time on the ski rope playing fetch but this does not help us learn to walk on a leash.

So this morning I was surprised at how much he had regressed in leash training. He started pulling the instant I hooked up the leash. He knew where he wanted to go and wanted to get there fast!

I am still walking a little gingerly so I was not in the mood to be pulled. So instead of just snapping the leash I added a verbal "No" command each time he pulled. As suggested in SitStayFetch, I expressed this in my best guttural growling alpha dog voice.

The added reinforcement finally got his attention. By the time we finished our short walk to the creek and back, he was getting lots more "good dog" than he was "no."

Smash and I are having a fun time with this learning how to train your dog to walk on a leash stuff. I am seeing all kinds of benefits in our relationship.

No comments: