Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dog-sitting for Smash

For the last three years I have been dog sitting off and on for Smash as well as the felines of the family. Smash enjoys having me out at the house because he knows that most likely, Jennifer is going to take him for a ride into town.

As a treat I sometimes will go to Sonic and get a fresh fruit slush for me and a water for Smash. By the time we get home, I am done with my drink and give the rest to Smash. He loves this.

For a few days this week I am once again getting to dog sit (and kitty sit). Smash is happy I am with him. Today we went for a ride into town since I had to do some errands. Smash kept wanting to be with me cheek to cheek. If not that, Smash wanted to drool all over me. I did stop at Sonic. Many dogs don't mind getting a nice cup of water and drinking it wherever it is located. Not Smash.

Smash prefers we pick the cup up and hold it so he doesn't have to bend his head over. Talk about a spoiled dog! As I am hand watering Smash he is splashing cold ice water all over my arm along with his drool. I know he was enjoying this entirely.

When we arrived back home, I almost forgot to get him out of the Jeep before I put it back in the garage. So I was getting cups shuffled around and other stuff settled when Smash inadvertently poked a hole in my cup of water with his claw. A gush of very, very cold ice water ended up on me. I quickly tossed it out of the Jeep then got Smash out.

The longest time I have had to dog sit Smash was for a week. In March, his "skin" brother, Will along with their parents Janice and Mike went to Ireland as part of Will's high school band having the opportunity to perform in the St.Patrick's Day parade in Dublin, Ireland.

Smash and I had a blast. At least for the most part. I did give him a bath the day they were coming home in hopes he would be around when I had to go and pick them up from the school. About an hour before we were to leave, Smash disappeared and I was disappointed. Once we arrived back home, Smash didn't show up for probably about 15 minutes or so. I think he was highly upset his family had left. He had felt they had abandon him.

Other than that, Smash and I are buddies for life.

No comments: