Monday, November 24, 2008

Smash and the thunderstorm

It was a little over a year ago that Smash's behavior changed when it comes to thunderstorms. During the summer of 2007, Smash and his "skin" dad were hanging out in his dad's shop/barn. Smash sensed something going on with the weather and immediately got up and headed outside. It wasn't just a few seconds later that his dad noticed things being knocked off the walls and shelves. He then felt the hairs on the back of his neck sticking up and then BAM! All within a matter of seconds lightning had struck the barn and traveled from the underground cables to the house and frying a computer, modem, theater sound sytem and other things.

From then on though, Smash became extremely skirmish when thunderstorms approached. Even his dad got somewhat like Smash.

A few weeks ago I got to spend the night out at Smash's family home. Out of what I call the "blue" a storm approached. As I was heading to my room for the night I noticed Smash hanging out at the back door. It was already raining and he looked quite sad and soaked. Well, I got my stuff put up in the room and started calling Smash into the room. He hesitated just a little bit but then I nudged him. Suprisingly he came in, sat down and let me pet him. I gently stroked his head and then his back. He gradually calmed down and fell asleep.

I sat down next to him for awhile as I was working on completing a test for one of my college classes. I continued stroking him which I realized that it was helping me relax.

Before I knew it I was asleep then woke up about 5 A.M. I realized Smash hadn't woke up to want to go out to potty. I fell back to sleep for a little bit then got woke up enough to text Mike, Smash's dad to let him know that in case he was looking for his dog to take him for a walk, that he was in the room with me.

Eventually Mike came down and got his dog. He just smiled and pet Smash then let him out.

No comments: